Friday, July 4, 2008

HAPPY 4th OF JULY

I love 4th of July. It's what marks the beginning of summer and permission to eat all of the watermelon and homemade ice cream that I want, go swimming, and where flip flops.

I have so many great memories from my childhood of going to parades and shooting off fire crackers. As I write this, my neighborhood sounds like a war zone. Fire works are illegal in Colorado Springs because of the fire danger, but it never seems to stop folks from celebrating. I don't promote breaking the law, but I have to admit, I love hearing all of the crackles, pops, whistles and flares.

On this particular day, every year, I feel patriotic. I love hearing the choreographed music that is played along with the big fire works shows and as much as I am SO sick and tired of Lee Greenwoods, "Proud to be an American" song, on this particular day I don't mind so much. I get a little lump in my throat when they play it as the finale along with all of the big booms and beautiful showers of red, white and blue.

I am proud of our country, even with all of our flaws. I love our freedom and I pray God will continue to bless us with that. I can't wait until next year when Morgan will be old enough to participate and have fun with all of the 4th of July traditions. We had a great day of eating watermelon and ice cream and playing outside and he is sleeping peacefully now, even with all of the hoopla going on. However you celebrated our independance today, I hope it will bring lasting memories for you and your family.

2 comments:

Abba's Girl said...

I saw your comment on the Lproof blog and wanted to stop by and say hello.

I have vacationed in and around Colorado Springs several times and will in there on the way to my vacation spot of Creede this summer. You live in a wonderful city.

Super Rockstar Momma said...

Thank you so much for visiting! Yes, I know I am blessed in a HUGE way to live where I do I hope you have a great vacation!