Wednesday, August 12, 2015

First Day of School/First Day of my new life

Momma's Log August 4, 2015 (Kwrp)
Today begins a new chapter in my life.  For the past 8 years I have been up to my eyeballs in all things about my boys.  As of 8:00 this morning, I turned both of them over to District 49 here in Colorado Springs to care for, feed, entertain and teach until 3:00pm this afternoon.  Sniffle... Sniffle....Sob!  I'm fine..I'm fine. I'm just a little verklempt.  Talk amongst yourselves for a minute.  Here, I'll give you a topic.  Why don't birds fly upside down?  Discuss...

O.K. Whew!  I'm back now.  It's just that I have had at least one of those little/turned-big boys around me every day now for 8 1/2 years.  This whole full-time school thing is beyond strange.  My house feels eerily quiet, especially after having them both here every. single. day... loud, laughing, arguing, screeching my name solid for the past 2 1/2 months during our summer break.  My home feels like a foreign planet.  I have literally been walking through it for the first time observing things I had never noticed before.  For instance, when did the walls get so stinkin' dirty? Huh? I mean our home is only about 5-years old.  How is it possible that in that short time, my pristine perfectly new  walls look like they would be right at home in a crack house? So many of you have tried to convince me that I will enjoy my freedom, that it will be wonderful and that I can sing and dance and frolic around without any interruptions.  Uh huh.

I'm slowly beginning to realize that I will now be accountable more than ever for how I spend my time.   Everyone that knows me is watching....Why isn't she going back to work?, Is she going to just sit around her house and eat bon bons all day?  Must be nice to have nothing to do all day. Heh, heh... whoo boy!  It took me one micro-second to look at my home through fresh eyes, not overrun with the herd of boy humanity, and I realize exactly what I'm going to be doing.,...Dom dom DOM! House projects..GASP!  I know, I know.  But, I don't see any way around it.  I've gotten by fat, dumb and lucky for these past few years without my hubby, the Super Rock Star, not being too up in arms about the quickly deteriorating state of our home.  He was content that my time was best spent making sure Heckle and Jeckle didn't destroy it and seeing that they were being fed, watered, and exercised regularly.  I'm in a bit of a state of panic right now.  I really had been kind of looking forward to this Re-lax-ation. thing I've heard all the kids buzzing about.  But, now, I need to act quick or this is going to turn into a real bummer of gargantuan proportions.  I mean, not only is the general overall filth of our home coming to the surface, but I've heard some mumblings about repainting the exterior, the fence needs staining, the accumulation in our garage and several closets needs to be dealt with.  It's only a matter of time before his gaze settles on me as the logical one, between the two of us, who should accomplish these tasks. Folks, I don't mean to panic, but seriously, I'm starting to feel light headed... heart palpitations,  I might need to go lie down...in our kiddie pool.  Be back in a sec.

O.K. That helped....a lot!  Feeling pretty mellow...and sunburned.  The thing is that even though I'm feeling pretty weirded out by the overwhelming quiet in our home right now, I'm kind of looking forward to it too.  It's not often that one gets a chance to have uninterupted time-- especially us stay-at-home mom types.  Most of our time is spent listening to detailed accounts of every. single. thought that pops into our precious little cherub's head. And the endless stream of questions that no sane adult would ever ask: "How do giraffes wipe their hineys?", "Why do cars need gas and how come human toots can't be put into cars?" "When I become a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle, are you going to make me do chores?" I'm hoping to get to do some creative things like balance our checkbook for the first time in 8 years and grocery shop without the half hour visit to the toy aisle.  I'm thinking I may even enjoy a nap and actually go to sleep without worrying about my stealthy ninjas sneaking around the house.  So, even with the impending dread of house projects on the horizon (dom dom DOM!!!), I think that having some empty spaces in my life might be a little refreshing too.  Who knows, maybe while I'm tackling the mountain size accumulation of projects I might listen to some really cool inspirational podcasts that teach me how to be a better mom, wife, and human being or I can learn a foreign language that I can teach my family when they come home..... Nah!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I enjoyed reading your post. You are a great writer!

Super Rockstar Momma said...

Thank you Sharon! I really appreciate the encouragement!