Sunday, February 14, 2016

14 Things I love about My Man

Momma's Log February 14, 2016


Ah! L'Amour! We are in the month of February--the month of LOVE! I can't help but think of chocolates and roses and candle lit dinners. I adore how even my little boys get all starry eyed with the idea of love --they get a kick out of  giving their Daddy some handy hints on how he can show his love for their Momma--i.e. "girls like princess dresses and smell good (perfume)"  Yep--I've got two little Casanova's in the making. But to be honest, Super Rock Star has never been in need of help in remembering to make me feel loved.  In fact, I would say he does a pretty stinkin good job of it all throughout the year--he has never missed a birthday, anniversary, or ANY special occasion and can quote the date of our first date effortlessly.

I, on the other hand, am not as good at this as he is.  Oh sure, I remember all the important dates and such, but unfortunately I have never been really great at showing love.  I have always been a pretty private person in this area and guarded my heart pretty fiercely.  I just assumed when we got married that those natural --keep things close to my chest-- tendencies would melt away.  I don't think he has issue with me not blabbing about my love for him to the masses, but sometimes I forget that it's o.k. to blab about it to him.  If you hadn't figured it out by now--I like him. And I don't just like him, but LIKE him like him. I think it might be serious since this will be our 23rd Valentine's Day.    SO,in an effort to show him in some small way my love, I'm gonna share with him (and you) 14 things that I love best about him.

1. He is HANDSOME--Seriously?... Seriously...SER.I.OUS.LY! I am not a superficial beauty type of person, but waking up to this face every day? Fagetaboutit!


2. He is loving--As I've mentioned, he has never forgotten to celebrate all of our important events in life together.  But, he also takes time to do the special, unexpected things.  One of our Sunday traditions is to stop at the 7 eleven after church so our boys can get slushies and candy (some folks do donuts--we do this) and he always buys me a scratcher lottery ticket.  A couple of weeks ago he knew he couldn't join us in going to church (late night life of a Rock Star) so he purchased a ticket and had put it in my purse for me to find. 
3. He is a hard worker and great provider--Both he and I have had a variety of jobs and careers in our time together, but I have NEVER had to worry about him taking care of us.  Even during moments when the rug got pulled out from under him-- he got up, dusted himself off and found the next thing.  He also has a very strong work ethic and never gives anyone a worry over whether or not he can get it done.  He can and he does. Period.
4. He is fun and funny--No one makes me giggle and bark out loud with laughter more than him.  He loves to crack funny one liners during movies or while were watching shows and he can always count on me to laugh.  The only down side has been when he chooses to do it during the sermon at church.  I swear he does it on purpose right when the pastor is looking in our direction and I guffaw out loud in laughter during what-- I'm sure-- is supposed to be a very serious and somber part of the service.  I just know I'm going to get kicked out some day.
5. He is creative--I found this out very quickly.  During our dating years, he would doodle beautiful drawings on paper napkins (I think I still have them somewhere) and the very first Christmas card I ever received from him was a beautiful homemade creation done in a 3 dimensional scene.  Since then he has created countless cards, he makes special creative pancakes for our boys almost every weekend and has built two special beds for them and a pirate ship in our back yard (yes, you read that correctly...a PIRATE SHIP). He also writes, takes very cool photos and is the one behind many of the cool things we have in our home.

6. He is an AWESOME Daddy--I've never known someone who was looking forward more to becoming a Daddy. He loves and takes that role more seriously than any other.  Our boys will never know a day of doubt about the love he has for him.  He wrote them special lullaby songs when they were baby's, he has spoken the story of what an answer to prayer they were over and over to them and now they can recite it verbatim, he takes great joy in teaching them, wrestling with them, laughing and being silly with them, and pouring his whole being into their little lives.  It is an amazing thing to witness and makes me love him even more.


7. He is a great cook--For any of you single ladies out there--this quality doesn't necessarily have to be on your "checklist", but I will testify that it is a definite "cherry on top" quality in a husband.  I've mentioned the creative pancakes he makes for our boys most weekends but, my man can cook a mean chicken fried steak, he makes THE BEST giblet gravy every year for Thanksgiving (seriously, I never in my life would have tried a giblet if not for him), and many many other delicious things.  I love that he is a creative cook too.  I'm a strict recipe follower (more Rainman like in every way).  He, on the other hand, will come up with his own concoctions.  The only down side is that in his "Mad Scientist" method of putting together a meal, he often won't remember how to duplicate it.  It's always a surprise and always wonderful.


8. He loves Jesus--Again to the single ladies--this one IS a MUST, a numero uno on the checklist.  I love that he is so aware of his need for Jesus and that he is daily expressing his thankfulness to me and our boys for all of the blessings God has given us.  No matter what ever happens in our lives, our shared beliefs and faith in Jesus is our solid rock foundation to build our life and love on.
9. He is a man of integrity and has a VERY strong character--Super Rock Star has had A LOT of hard knocks in life and through it all he has become one of the strongest people I know.  He chose early on that life's circumstances and others opinions were not going dictate to him how his life was going to go.  Of course, reason #8 is paramount in him becoming who he is, but I swear he has more determination in a day than I will be able to muster up in a lifetime. 
10. He is an amazing singer--

THIS friends-- is one of the ways he won my heart.  The man can melt me down to my toes when he sings--especially when they are special songs he has written just for me.  One of  THE MOST romantic moments in our marriage was on our wedding day he sang a song that he had written A Capella as I walked down the aisle. SWOON!  Years later  he secretly recorded the song and surprised me on our 20th anniversary.  I love going to listen to him when he sings with his band Sofakillers as they do so many fun cover tunes. But, he has ALSO recorded two albums of songs he has written. You can listen to and purchase his music on his website timglennmusic.com
 
11. He is trustworthy--I do not doubt his commitment to me and to our family.  I KNOW that he will always do whatever it takes to protect us, provide for us and do his best every day to love us.
12. He is Ornery--Our first year of marriage I walked into our little town home apartment and found him lying at the bottom of the stairs in a grotesque position.  I was beside myself wailing and screaming thinking the worst.  All of a sudden he sits up--wide smiled and laughing. "Gotcha!" OH! The tongue lashing I gave him for that one! This was the first of many and now he is even teaching his young padawans (our boys) his mischievous skills.  I am always the target and always fall for it.  SIGH!
13. He is Smart--I am constantly amazed at the things he can calculate in his head, work out things in his mind and instantly be able to communicate it in a smooth, clear and efficient way.  He is an encyclopedia for almost all current news, picks up new technology so easily, and can memorize things quickly.  This has come in handy in so many ways since--in all the things I just mentioned--I am the EXACT opposite. 
14. He is diplomatic--I ALMOST put even-tempered, but with football season just ending and the Cowboys having such a dismal year and the Broncos winning the Super Bowl (sorry--unfortunately you  cannot be a Cowboys fan and a Broncos fan at the same time. It's a scientific fact) tempers have flared around here this past week.  However, diplomatic is a much better word for him.  He is calm in the midst of the worst kinds of pressure.  I witnessed this best during his years working in television news.  I cannot even begin to tell you the chaos that goes on in a newsroom--especially when breaking news hits.  He would be on the anchor desk calmly telling the events, meanwhile he would have a voice yelling at him through his IFB (inner ear thingy), people scrambling around off camera, and orders being barked out.  All that would seriously make me go ballistic.  He has an amazing calm on me too.  I am a very passionately emotional person (nice way of saying I'm a basket case).  Especially when it comes to a certain 8 year old throwing fits about doing homework and a certain 6 year old who rolls his eyes at me.  I can't tell you how many times he has come home from work to witness us on the brink of WWIII and within minutes has us all calm and signing a peace treaty.

There are so many, many other things that I love and appreciate about my husband, but these are my top 14. I have such a deep love and respect for this man that I get to share life with. Happy Valentine's Day to my Super Rock Star!

No comments: