Wednesday, January 28, 2009

My favorite chair

We just bought a new (well, slightly new) leather chair and ottoman. Boy, is it comfy!! Seriously, it's the kind of chair you could just melt into and never want to get out of. The thing is, I'm feeling conflicted.

We have always just had the one chair. It's a nice big chair & 1/2 and I have enjoyed curling up in it for nearly 10 years now. It's the place I have met with my Lord every morning for the last 9 years. It's where I have had my first cup of coffee. It's where my husband and I have sat close and watched countless movies. It's where my dog, Lucy, has always come to me to get a little head and chest rub while I'm having my quiet time. It's where I've sat for hours enjoying our fireplace in the winter and gazing out our trees in the summer. It's where I've shared my deepest heart aches and greatest triumphs with God. It's the first place I sat holding my newborn son, Morgan, when we brought him home from the hospital. It's the place he and I snuggle every morning when he first wakes up. It is my favorite chair.

But, my chair is getting worn out now. It creaks and crunches when I sit down, the fabric is worn out and it probably won't last much longer. We still have it and I still enjoy sitting in it, but the new chair... It's just SO darn comfortable! I suppose I should be grateful that I have a choice on which chair to sit in, but I feel a little guilty every time I choose the new over the old. I'm sure it sounds silly. How is it possible to get attached over something as common as a chair?

The truth of the matter is that my conflict is a moot point. My husband, Tim, has claimed the new one as his "Man Chair" and the only time I get to sit in it is when he' s not here. There is some relief for me in this, because then I don't feel guilty about neglecting my old chair. I know there will come a day when we will replace my old one with a new one. I will miss my old chair on that day. But, for now, it sits looking warm and inviting. I think I'll go curl up for a nap.

2 comments:

Becky said...

I love chair and a 1/2's! This is a great post, Jen.

Super Rockstar Momma said...

Thanks Becky!